Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

#17

Sorry for the delay. December and the Holidays had me a bit out of whack but I'm okay now. You can and should expect an update each and every Monday. Tuesday at the very latest.

I take such pleasure in traveling off the beaten path, perhaps not so much the beaten path as say: the mainstream route or the popular way. However, I am also a firm believer in liking what you like, love what you love and if everyone else seems to love it…well, so be it. We need more honesty and less trying to be different only for the sake of being different. However, with that being said, I do believe the allure of discovery is one of the attributes in why I enjoy the more obscure artists. I have traveled around and through the northwest a many, many mile over the last decade. And almost always, those miles have been accumulated on my odometer rather than frequent flyer miles. The other, “almost always” is that nearly every mile I’ve racked up, my brother Jacob, has been with me. We know little about the beaten path for we rarely choose it. We adore the back roads, approve and respect all Ma-n-Pa establishments and make for damn sure our food money is spent far and away from all restaurant chains. With this doctrine I must tell you the success rate is not at the one hundred percent mark. Let’s say it like it is, sometimes the food stinks and the service is bad. In spite of that, the experience is memorable. If ever you fancy a look into the wonderment that makes up the human race of this blessed Country, take the time and eat with the locals in Salmon, Idaho. Stop in Hamilton, Montana and walk the small main street and choose one of many eating establishments or if ever you visit North Bend, Washington, stroll past the round-a-about and on either side of main street you’ll see a variety of great diners.

For me, great music in the last decade is discovered in this same fashion. I’m not saying mainstream doesn’t produce or promote some really great musicians, but if that’s all were listening to, I’m a wee-bit heart broken for how much is being missed. I myself have realized I’m totally unable to find enough time in the week to search for new artists, my music budget is limited and I’ll-be-damned to buy only one song off an album. Albums are intended to be purchased as a whole and if my safe spending for that moment is ninety-nine cents then I’ll wait – I’ll wait until I can buy the entire thing or I will not buy it at all. I have noticed a vexatious trend that is taking place in our libraries of music. My private eye work has proven just that, the "i" is to blame. The "i" in itunes; that small vertical line with the dot hovering above in "ipod" is the guilty party. For less than a dollar we're able to purchase the "radio hit" the "one hit wonder" and so forth. Our MP3 players become filled with unfinished work - can you imagine buying only the title track off of Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin" and bypassing the magic of "With God On Our Side" or "Boots Of Spanish Leather". Okay, perhaps I've taken this too far and I should stand down; I too am guilty of buying that simple, little, stand-up-and-shake-it-like-you-got-it hit that plays on the radio every fifteen minutes. Who isn't?

The internet is the respirator in which grants these musicians life, no longer are they bound by the music labels that wish to control their authenticity and market their music with an eye single to the glory of money. Those chains have been broken and they are free to create without ever having to cooperate with the mainstream media. Album sales can exist while never even being close to having a song dance along the radio airwaves. I discovered this next artist by making sure my travel was off the beaten path, the trail was not well groomed but the path led to a breath-taking musician. Her voice so wonderful; stopping to listen is the only option she gives you.

Tift Merritt – Tambourine (2004)

This is one fine piece of songwriting. The opening track "Stray Paper" is upbeat, fine guitar work throughout and the tone is nicely set. The quality that exists with Tambourine is Tift herself, her voice so attractive and distinct. The third track "Good Hearted Man" is a story well told, honest and heartfelt. My favorite song from the album, "Laid A Highway" is a song about her small hometown and the transformation that takes place as the world gets bigger and faster. Tambourine is a fun album, twelve really solid tracks that belong together. Tift has other notable albums and I suggest looking into each of them. I just feel Tambourine is her best work to date. How Tift Merritt has avoided the mainstream is sort of perplexing to me, has it been by her own choice? I don't know. All I really know is I'm not ready to buy what mainstream is cooking - Not when albums like "Tambourine" are being left off the menu.

Learn more about Tift Merritt and listen to her music

http://www.tiftmerritt.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment