Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

#6

“Son, don’t start something you can’t finish” My old man uttered those words to me on more than one occasion. Years ago, I was given the assignment to keep eye and watch over a large area of burning weeds. These yellow weeds led to the base of four massive trees that outlined the road in front of our house. My job was simple; don’t let those trees catch on fire. Well, those trees caught on fire and that is the first time I remember hearing, “Son, don’t start something you can’t finish”. Anyway, that is sort of how I feel with this blog, I started it and by hell, I need to finish it. I will set lazy and procrastination to the side and I will carry on. Do forgive my belated effort.

Just a guess, but I’m betting this next artist will be the most unknown (whatever unknown means, I’m not really sure) on this list.

Thad Cockrell – Warmth & Beauty (2003)

As far as country records are concerned, I think this is one of the very best ever made. I have “What’s the Use” the 9th track on the album blasting as we speak, my wife just walked into the room with these exact words, “Oh baby, I forgot how much I love this”. Don’t be too concerned with the album being in the country genre, it’s so much a singer/songwriter style, similar to Willie Nelson or Loudon Wainwright III. Some will be reminded of Gram Parsons but don't be fooled "this album is pure country music, untainted by commercial considerations and without rock influences" -all music guide

Warmth & Beauty is Thad’s second album, his first album, Stack of Dreams is tough to find. I ordered it years back on his website and it too is great. His most recent album, To Be Loved is solid but not on the same parallel of Warmth & Beauty. A great songwriter and one of the most delicate and beautiful voices you will ever hear. Of all the albums on this list, I think this is the one I hope you would not dismiss. This album is indisputably worth the $9.99 you’ll pay on itunes. The album is a perfect eleven songs, I’m not sure if there is one song better than the other, it’s like a bag of Jordan Almonds. Sure, there are many colors but they all taste wonderful. What do you mean you don’t like Jordan Almonds, are you crazy or something?

Anyway, give it a listen; find a way to give it a listen. And if you don’t love it then I’ll send you the $9.99! That’s a lie, I won’t send you a single red cent but I will smack you upside your head if you tell me you didn’t love it! And believe me, I will, I’m in the “finishing what I start business”.

And I couldn't find any songs to embed, sorry. Just buy the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment