Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

#13

By Digler, 1 February 2010

What do a conversation with a professor near retirement over lunch, a late night walk through the Lower East Side section of New York City with a person I didn’t know then and have not talked to since and a conversation in a parking lot with two teenagers I know all have in common? Music, of course (this is a blog about music after all). It has almost become cliché at this point to talk about the ability of music to unite people, to create connections and a shared understanding that might not normally exist (or at least be found). Music can create those bonds in a way that continues to amaze me.

In each of those scenarios, a connection was created, some out of thin air, some as a strengthening of a previous bond. This alone does not make them worth repeating. I could list dozens of other examples and I’m sure you could too. But in the spirit of this blog, the connections started out as a discussion of the ‘classics’ and turned into a give-and-take about great current music that is out there, if only we have a little time, a little curiosity and an open mind.

The conversation with the professor, who has since become a good friend, started out as a discussion about social media which evolved into the obsession of music fans. I learned she is a big Bruce Springsteen fan. And I mean big. Sufficiently intrigued, I asked about other music and was surprised to learn she also loved to discover new music and really liked Pete Yorn and Jesse Malin. We have continued the conversation from time to time since then, sharing concert dates and album releases.

A couple of years ago, I was at a conference in New York City for a week. Mike had already moved and I really didn’t know anyone in the city. At night I would wander around and go to movies, interesting shops and just soak up the energy and excitement that is New York City. One afternoon, I overheard a fellow conference attendee mention Neil Young in passing. As an avid Neil Young fan, I went over and introduced myself. Turns out, he wasn’t very familiar with Neil’s work. He asked me a couple of questions which turned into a conversation that continued for several hours as we wandered around the Lower East Side, discussing and debating the merits of various types of music – from classic rock to alt-country to heavy metal – in a city that seems to have music at its very soul. We didn’t have much else in common but I’ll always remember those couple of hours of serious music discussion and reflection. In fact that conversation was also partly responsible for me finding my way to a free Ron Sexsmith concert in Battery Park a couple of days later, which was fantastic and another great memory.

As a person involved with youth programs, I have gotten to know several teenagers in the area where I live. We talk sports, we talk movies, and we talk music. I have been especially surprised, and encouraged, by their taste in music. Sure, they like some radio-friendly pop fare that I don’t care much for but they also have an appreciation for really good music that spans generations and genres. It was during one of these conversations that the next album on the list was playing. Like me, what got them first was that voice, followed quickly by the sound and, after further listening, the songwriting.

The band is Roman Candle and the album is Oh Tall Tree in the Ear.

#13 Roman Candle - Oh Tall Tree in the Ear

Modern rock, alt-country, indie rock, roots rock - I don’t know what you’d call it. I just call it great music. This is music that sticks with you and the kind of album that seems like it will be in conversations about great music years from now (when I am the one near retirement and my grandkids are learning about music). It is a truly wonderful album from start to finish.

Probably the most radio friendly of the songs on this album is ironically the one that takes a dig at music on the radio – “Why Modern Radio is OK”

Now he didn’t know it but while he was in jail
I had my heart broke by a woman to wondrous to tell
And we’d fallen in love to half the songs that jukebox played

So when he flattened his dollar on the side of the machine
and I saw ‘comes a time’ come on the karaoke screen
I realized there were a few things I had forgot to say:

Don’t play Neil Young
Don’t play Van Morrison
Just let some high school emo band start versing and chorusing
Because there’s no way it will break my heart as far as I can see
And that’s why modern radio is A OK with me.

I love that! Of course, I think the musicians in Roman Candle, which include Skip Methany and his wife Timshel and his brother Logan would agree that while the songs on modern radio aren’t deep enough to break our heart, there is plenty of music out there that follows in the footsteps of Neil Young and Van Morrison if we know where to look. I’d like to think the albums we’ve shared with you on this blog are a good starting point. Oh Tall Tree in the Ear may not be the kind of music to break your heart but it’s the kind of music you’d turn to after it was broken, when you’re angry, searching for answers, unsure of yourself and your life but also knowing it might hurt now but that is part of living so you may as well enjoy the ride. I’ll close with another set of great lyrics, this time from the song, Big Light

Sometimes I get a little lost

And the good life is so hard to see

Sometimes all I can see is the cost

When the prize is standing right in front of me.

And it ain’t easy to get along

When you’ve got things going wrong

And there is no luck to be found besides

Spend my natural prime, thinking money and time,

Wondering where they go, and they go.

That’s when I need you to put me in line.

Come tell me something, any words are fine.

Fill up these four walls with old melodies.

Let me know if the big light is shining on me.

Roman Candle has one of the really great band websites I've ever seen. They heavily involve their fans and create a wonderful fan community. Make sure you check it out, it's a great place to check out photos, stream their music, videos and so forth.

http://www.romancandlemusic.com/

Here is a pretty cool live version of "Modern Radio..."


No comments:

Post a Comment