Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2009

#23

Growing up I shared the same bed as my older brother, Jacob, five years older. Not just the same room, the same bed – you’re thinking it had to be a king, nope, it was queen size. Our bedroom was in the basement, right next to the laundry room, the sound of a dryer running is restful to me, peaceful, almost tranquil. Like clockwork, my Mother would throw in a batch or two of laundry most every night. I loved the conversations the three of us would have as she separated whites from darks, us two boys lying in bed as she cheerfully moved about the laundry room. It’s remarkable to me that the sound of a dryer can take me back to that queen bed, brown-carpeted floor, sports posters shielding the walls and my older Brother lying next to me. The power that exists in sound truly is astonishing.

Just as Jake and I shared that same bed, we also share the same love for music, the next album on my list the two of us discovered together while living in a hotel room in Sunnyside Washington. In no direct attempt at offending anyone, I can safely say the only redeeming quality about Sunnyside Washington is getting to leave. Our few week stay in Sunnyside was combined with one hundred degree days – outside of our hotel room was disorderly, especially at night, the food was bad and the people seemed churlish. However, anytime I listen to On Promenade I reluctantly drift back to that hotel room. I can’t help it, like I said, the power that exists in sound truly is astonishing. Lucky for me (and Jake) we had this album to accompany our nine hour drive home. And so, when I listen to On Promenade It's not just Sunnyside that I visit, I can see the Blue Mountains in Oregon, I can see a particular ma-n-pa's c-store in historic Baker City, I can see a whole lot of freeway and remember a cluster of conversation.

#23 Doug Burr - On Promenade (2007)

The foremost thing about Doug Burr's On Promenade is how solid it stands as a complete album, I'm not sure there is one song that rises up more than another. The other aspect of this album is how much better it continues to get with multiple listens. Doug sings in masterful verses - forcing his listeners to pay attention. On Promenade has a gospel roots feel to it, hard to place the sound in any particular genre - it never becomes altered, it remains as one continual sound; the eleven tracks on this album belong together. The guitar work is fine but it's the other instruments that give On Promenade it's distinguished sound and feel. Electric guitar, banjo, piano, drums, the way it's mixed together, the background vocals always joining at the precise moment. On Promenade is an impressive album, around forty-five minutes in length, full of heart and skillful songwriting.

I've traveled to a few places I don't care to remember, Sunnyside being at the top of the list - I gladly accept my time there because of our eminent discovery. With Doug Burr's On Promenade I'll take the bad with the good, because this album is nothing short of great.

Check out Doug Burr's official site:

http://www.dougburr.com/home.htm

Stream songs from On Promenade at his myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/dougburr



No comments:

Post a Comment